click tracking
Tom

TTC Chapter 13

Accept disgrace willingly. 
Accept misfortune as the human condition. 
What do I mean by "accept disgrace willingly?" 
Accept being unimportant. 
Do not be concerned with wealth, titles, loss or gain. 
If you are not concerned with these, you can always "accept disgrace willingly". 
What do I mean by "accept misfortune as the human condition?" 
Without a body, how could there be misfortune! 
For misfortune arises from having a body 
Surrender yourself humbly, then you can be trusted to care for all things. 
Love the world as your own self, then you can truly be trusted to care for all things. 

Any thoughts?

• Like 3

Funny thing about electricity. It'll run through a copper wire pretty well, but all wires, even the best ones, have resistance. This resistance generates heat, and at a certain point - if enough electricity runs through the wire - the heat will melt the wire and it will fail. So, as you can see, it's not the electricity, but the wire's resistance to the electricity that breaks the wire.

• Like 2

If there is a large business in LA selling hangers, and it wants to expand to the Congo in Africa.  So it opens an office there.  The office can work in three ways :
1) The office does nothing it ... just takes orders and deliveries and has no "resistance", the source company can't really expand into the new territory because it's produce is not adapted for the Congo.  Also the new office in Africa is not growing, it's really dumb terminal and not helping the source company.

2) The office and its staff start to get their own ideas and has too much "resistance" and make a mess of everything ... sooner or later it burns out.

3) The office takes orders from back home in LA, but it does some hard work to knit together the LA company with the local conditions in the Congo.  In this way it creates a channel adapted to the local conditions and extends the source company into the new territory.  The office itself has to mature and develop skill in the local conditions, and as it becomes successful the office stays alive and grows.  Eventually it becomes a permanent feature of the source company.

• Thanks 1

Love the world as your own self, then you can truly be trusted to care for all things. 

From these two lines you can see Laozi is pointing to a very high state, and he doesn't mean become an ignorant vagabond.

Seeing the ignorant vanity of the world you no longer chase the things of the world, you rest when the work is done and do not seek attention.

But in practical life being in disgrace might cause you a lot of problems, so a middle place will attract less attention from the crowd then disgrace.

As for "the body" ... who can meditate without a body ? 

It is both our enemy and also our vehicle ... a mountain is only a problem if we refuse to climb.

Do we have a "body" ? 

As you look out of your eyes ... you can't even see your body, is it still there ? 

What is a body ?

Is it a layer  of physical-consciousness ?  is it a vehicle ?  is it an emanation of our consciousness ?
Is it in the end ... our true substance ?  Or just an other layer ?

Is it our guardian angel and guide ?

It is exceptionally complex, we are fools compared to its power.

I make a small intention with my will and the body springs into action navigating this world like a master.

When I screw up, the body bleeds, heals and forgives me.

I bow before this body, it is much greater than I.

Who could make such a thing ?

Only God.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Funny thing about electricity. It'll run through a copper wire pretty well, but all wires, even the best ones, have resistance. This resistance generates heat, and at a certain point - if enough electricity runs through the wire - the heat will melt the wire and it will fail. So, as you can see, it's not the electricity, but the wire's resistance to the electricity that breaks the wire.

Really like this analogy here. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are not concerned with these, you can always "accept disgrace willingly". 
What do I mean by "accept misfortune as the human condition?

All the things mentioned are of the ego mind. Again he is describing different aspects of obstructions, of wants and desires. Things of the mind that people can get caught up in.

Accept it when things happen and let it go, go with the flow..

While one is still in the dualistic mind there are issues and fears, wants and desires.

Surrender or let go of such desires is the way to move beyond the ego.

Realize you are more than the body or that you, the body and the world is your true self.

With such a realization there is no misfortune!

Here is Jeff's view.

What do I mean by "accept misfortune as the human condition?" 

Do not get caught up with and attached to how others see you.

Simply living your life, you will naturally start to attach to things.

Surrender to the loving flow of it, rather than trying to fight and hold on to it.

Eventually loving the whole world and not just individual things that you attach to.

• Like 1