click tracking

TTC Chapter 8

The greatest good is like water.

Water gives life to the Ten Thousand Things, but does not strive.

Because it does not strive, it flows in places without preference, depending on the flow and so is like the Dao.

In dwelling, be close to the land.

In meditation, go deep into the heart.

In dealing with others, be gentle and kind.

In speech, be straight and truthful. In ruling, be just and honest.

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

Anyone want to talk about his part?

The greatest good is like water.

Water gives life to the Ten Thousand Things, but does not strive.

Because it does not strive, it flows in places without preference, depending on the flow and so is like the Dao.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

The lesson is acceptance. Tao accepts. It does not strive. It flows. This is a reminder of that.

Very well said... Like with life, change happens, we go with that change, we don't fight it, strive to make it how we want it to be.

• Like 1

I feel a need to clarify. By "accept," I don't mean helplessly watch as the world unfolds. Rather, I mean adopt a mindset of "this is happening." By adopting this mindset one is free to act or not. This is in direct contradiction to the typical reaction, e.g. "this is not happening." One could consider this a form of mindfulness.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Jason said:

I feel a need to clarify. By "accept," I don't mean helplessly watch as the world unfolds. Rather, I mean adopt a mindset of "this is happening." By adopting this mindset one is free to act or not. This is in direct contradiction to the typical reaction, e.g. "this is not happening." One could consider this a form of mindfulness.

I am not sure I am following you. So, to you it is a mindset and not a being? Is mindfulness a good thing or is it a bad thing?

Also, with your free to act. How does that work with your mindset of this is happening?

Mindfulness is a good thing. As for mindset, perhaps an example will help.

Example: We age. Everyone ages. Yet culturally we resist aging. "This is not happening. How can I stop this? What product must I use? What gym must I join?" Hence the explosion of anti-aging products. A Taoist accepts. "This is happening. I am aging. I am not the same as before." This brings freedom to act.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Mindfulness is a good thing. As for mindset, perhaps an example will help.

Example: We age. Everyone ages. Yet culturally we resist aging. "This is not happening. How can I stop this? What product must I use? What gym must I join?" Hence the explosion of anti-aging products. A Taoist accepts. "This is happening. I am aging. I am not the same as before." This brings freedom to act.

Does not both of your examples give you freedom to act?

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

It appears so, but no. The first compels you to act and limits your choices. The second does not.

I don't see how it limits your choices. One is just more based on fear and issues than the other. Both could have the same outcome of becoming more active and joining the gym.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't see how it limits your choices. One is just more based on fear and issues than the other. Both could have the same outcome of becoming more active and joining the gym.

As you say, it is based on fear. Fear compels. Fear forces action or inaction. Fear limits. Acting from fear is not freedom.

Acceptance nullifies fear. Acceptance frees the mind. Acceptance brings freedom.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Jason said:

As you say, it is based on fear. Fear compels. Fear forces action or inaction. Fear limits. Acting from fear is not freedom.

Acceptance nullifies fear. Acceptance frees the mind. Acceptance brings freedom.

Very well said... just let it flow.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a book on "nourishing life" by Dr Yu ... and letting go into being is nourishing life.  
The Sun shines nourishing many  creatures, offering its rays to everyone who wants them.

Water flows differently to sunlight, it seeps into the soil, into dark places, underground places ... it brings nourishment with it, offering it to all.

Water also loosens rocks and takes them with it, slightly different quality from the sun.
Why does water not strive ?  Because it is life itself.