click tracking
PatrickJB

When Does Intellect Become a Stumbling Block?

Now no doubt you've all probably sussed out how stupid I am but let me tell you it was hard work! But seriously I do wonder if intellectualism isn't a trap? We might also ask if there's any point in simply accumulating more and more knowledge?

So what do we think? :huh: 

5 minutes ago, PatrickJB said:

Now no doubt you've all probably sussed out how stupid I am but let me tell you it was hard work! But seriously I do wonder if intellectualism isn't a trap? We might also ask if there's any point in simply accumulating more and more knowledge?

So what do we think? :huh: 

There are and have been some very brilliant spiritual people. I would guess it depends more on how it is used on ones path more than anything.

I go mostly by feeling when it comes to spiritual matters.

Not to say I don’t use my intellect in other areas of life, just not with spirit/energy. I suppose I would be a bad person to answer then...

• Like 1

Better question is when is your thinking and concepts ... more conscious alive and objective ?
What is the difference between that and the usual garbage that flies around ?

I think anything can be a stumbling block when used in isolation. It's not an either/or, heart or head. As unboundaried, with one rising to the fore and the other there in full support, clarity comes.

As I've said elsewhere,

Both, same time. (-:

It's not about intellect, but wisdom.

One can be wise and stupid, or wise and intelligent.

One can be unwise and stupid, or unwise and intelligent.

All too often intelligence is taken as substitute for wisdom. That's like a boxer using muscle as substitute for skill, or a runner using endurance as substitute for planning, or a bricklayer using skill in masonry as substitute for architecture.

Intellect becomes a stumbling block when it interferes with awareness.

• Like 1

Intelect is logic, discernment, the judge, conclusion maker,  the processor of senses. I think thats the reason why intelect may be the stumbling block in spiritual seeking. Once a conclusion is drawn, its finished. Once something is identified, its not what we seek. Logic and discernment (if thats even a word) wont work with only one input, therefore it creates duality. All those speaks of one thing, which is intelect.

Accumulating knowledge is good, but being attached to it (accumulating knowledge) also is a stumbling block. Whatever we (can) accumulate will be discarded when our life is done. Knowledge, if not within our own experience also might hinder progress (creates imagination, and possibly early conclusion). Im also a seeker of knowledge (maybe was, maybe still am), so im not supposed to say this. But im getting the suspicion that its not knowledge that im after, but the clearing of ignorance. 

I think jiddu krishnamurti is one example of using intelect as a path