click tracking
Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Roman Empire Degeneration Into Dust

I see a great deal of degeneration in the West, and so I was interested to look again at the origin of the Roman Empire, by what spirit or power it arose in the first place, what was the key to their strength and deployment.
Beginning one documentary on the subject, they framed the show by describing the moment when Napoleon entered the legendary city of Rome centuries later, totally unopposed to find the frightened Romans huddling in squalor around the monuments built by a people that no longer existed.

How could it be that such a Titanic powerful and creative people who had controlled most of the civilized world could have been reduced to ... nothing.
Huddling around large stone buildings and temples that they had no connection with.
These days society finds it difficult to connect with ideas from just a few generations ago,
somehow they think they are progressing when all around us today is illness strife and harm.
I have realised recently that many people who sow destruction and harm throughout their lives, will die quite happily.
And nothing will happen.

I am well warned; the illusions that humans live by are thick and all-surrounding.
When nothing yet stands and all is only dust ... what will remain ?
Will anything remain ?
A few, only a few will remain, that is the secret path of spirituality.
To remain when all else has washed away.
To live, when all else is not.
As Jesus says, "broad is the road and wide the gate to destruction, and many find it, straight is the road and narrow the gate leading to life, few find it".

The degeneration is also fully expressed within many spiritual traditions, something I found out unhappily through thorough research and random events.

19 hours ago, rideforever said:

How could it be that such a Titanic powerful and creative people who had controlled most of the civilized world could have been reduced to ... nothing.

Gibbon squarely blamed Christians for it. Also, nothing is rather dramatic. Rome remained the eternal city up to now.

It was first called The Eternal City (Latin: Urbs Aeterna; Italian: La Città Eterna) by the Roman poet Tibullus in the 1st century BC, and the expression was also taken up by Ovid, Virgil, and Livy. Rome is also called the "Caput Mundi" (Capital of the World).

31 minutes ago, JossBeaumont said:

Gibbon

Interesting.  Gibbon's life tells an interesting story, 5 siblings who all died in childhood, heavily pressured by aunt and father to be atheistic, but whilst at Oxford convert to Roman Catholicism, before dropping out of Academia.  When threatened with losing his inheritance by father, he is force to become protestant.  Then goes on the Grand Tour and sees Italy.   And that's just a beginning !!!   Makes big pile of cash and fame from his book that you mentioned.

I am no expert on these things, .... but ... my understanding is that Marcus Aurelius came to the throne when Rome was already in trouble, and MA steadied the ship.  That was 170AD.  But things declined further after him, including the debasing of the currency reducing the content of silver in the coins etc...  In about 250AD the empire split into East and West and due to being unable to repel invading forces.   And even when it could it was at heavy cost, and the loss of old veteran soldiers.   First Christian council of Niccae was 325AD.   So it would seem that this religion was brought in to shore up the ship after more than 100 years of decline.

What was brought in was not Christianity in its real form, but a weakened version that served Roman needs, in my opinion.

The usual cause of the fall of empires is easy to see everywhere, just look at Boeing, or consider your own life's successes and failures.
After a good disciplined solid start, and the resultant success, laziness slobbery self-aggrandising and corruption sets in, and the invaders arrive.
So predictably that you could wind your watch by it.

timeline_of_the_roman_empire_by_ryukonot

Something else interesting, I saw some footage of a large bear in Alaska in a river waiting with mouth open for leaping salmon.
The natural subconscious state of the Earth is a savage and violent place, murder is just the course of an ordinary day.
I have seen enough and now I appreciate Jesus's light amongst others.

bear salmon.jpg

I am wondering today about being yourself and society.  It seems to me that developing yourself is not really part of this society we live in ... at least it does not appear to be.  To succeed in this society you have to master a kind of insincere game that humans are playing involving acquiring skills you don't need or want and learning many things that have no real benefit to you ... so that you can unlock the keys to this world, i.e. money status position.

But to develop your true self does not seem to mean anything.

One possible way around this is if you own your own land and build a life ... then you can develop yourself and work from the ground up.  Another way is to play "the game" whilst doing secret practices within and use the difficulty of the world to increase your practices ... for instance holding a true state of oneness whilst selling cars is very challenging but if mastered then oneness becomes very deep - often spiritual states are not tested because people practice them in isolation.

Anyway this world seems very strange sometimes.   Another possibility is that the world does actually obey certain rules and that people who are of higher spiritual attainment actually gain passage ... the sea will part for you.  Although the "story" that is on the news does not include this understanding ... because they do not really understand how the world works.

I find it all very jarring.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2020 at 9:10 AM, rideforever said:

I am wondering today about being yourself and society.  It seems to me that developing yourself is not really part of this society we live in ... at least it does not appear to be.  To succeed in this society you have to master a kind of insincere game that humans are playing involving acquiring skills you don't need or want and learning many things that have no real benefit to you ... so that you can unlock the keys to this world, i.e. money status position.

But to develop your true self does not seem to mean anything.

One possible way around this is if you own your own land and build a life ... then you can develop yourself and work from the ground up.  Another way is to play "the game" whilst doing secret practices within and use the difficulty of the world to increase your practices ... for instance holding a true state of oneness whilst selling cars is very challenging but if mastered then oneness becomes very deep - often spiritual states are not tested because people practice them in isolation.

Anyway this world seems very strange sometimes.   Another possibility is that the world does actually obey certain rules and that people who are of higher spiritual attainment actually gain passage ... the sea will part for you.  Although the "story" that is on the news does not include this understanding ... because they do not really understand how the world works.

I find it all very jarring.

It is indeed a strange place we live in. 

The “using the Difficulty of the world to fuel practices” sounds like the Tantric path. It is quite intense but seems fun :) And I agree about being in isolation. 

There’s a line in the Bible about the birds of the air not worrying about what they will eat today - that it will be provided for them. 

Perhaps much of our struggle is against ourselves, and not really the world or society. 

Ive heard it said that the way out of Maya is acceptance of the very thing we’re  trying to liberate ourselves from. 

Nice thoughts you have, thanks for the post. Good pondering. 

• Like 1