click tracking
Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Scammed by Fake Deaf Person

Just got scammed for £2.   I was sitting in the coffee shop when this girl came in and placed on the table a little card in front of all of us, something about being deaf since birth and bla bla bla ... I gave her £2 but afterwards seemed odd, so I looked it up, yes it was a scam has been going around the world.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6713883/Con-artists-pretending-deaf-scam-public-taking-money-cards-sign-language-alphabet.html

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/consumer-protection/deaf-fakers-spark-warning-over-scam-ng-b881105469z

Not a nice feeling.   Feel angry or something.

Normally I would be on my guard more, but today I was feeling more relaxed and was with friends.

I get it, but the key for me is to try to let it go.  Laugh at myself instead of getting angry.

2 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Just got scammed for £2.   I was sitting in the coffee shop when this girl came in and placed on the table a little card in front of all of us, something about being deaf since birth and bla bla bla ... I gave her £2 but afterwards seemed odd, so I looked it up, yes it was a scam has been going around the world.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6713883/Con-artists-pretending-deaf-scam-public-taking-money-cards-sign-language-alphabet.html

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/consumer-protection/deaf-fakers-spark-warning-over-scam-ng-b881105469z

Not a nice feeling.   Feel angry or something.

Normally I would be on my guard more, but today I was feeling more relaxed and was with friends.

You might have been scammed but it is where you heart was/is that matters more. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, but .... maybe not.
If I could not detect it was scam then my heart was not in the right place, instead there was falseness.
But, thanks for the thought.
This world is not as benign as it seems one must be cautious as well as compassionate.
In fact it is good to make mistakes, but I have much to learn, then it will have been okay.
Why was I scammed, let me ask myself it directly ?
Why did I not detect it ?
- I wanted it to be true, I praised her enterprise and direct approach
- Being with friends I wanted to appear nice, there was a nice feeling with my friend; but these scams rely on parasiting your nice feelings and interfering with your social situation ... causing you to embarrass yourself by saying that this is a fraud ... after all what would your friends think of you
- If you truly stand up and tell the truth you may find you have few friends, better to pretend you cannot see
- It would be interesting to notice that it is a fraud ... but then pay the money anyway so that your friends will think you are nice
- Of course all this points to a great deal of insincerity within society; insincerity and a world of false meanings

I bought some sausages from the butcher a few weeks ago, he charged me £3.50 instead of £2.50.   But I walked out not wanting to make a fuss.
HEY YOU CHARGED ME THE WRONG AMOUNT, WEIGHT THEM AGAIN

My fear of standing up is cowardice vanity and manipulation.
Hmmm.

I will revisualise this episode tonight

Edited by rideforever

Yes, it can be frustrating and not a pleasant experience.  But it is also a good opportunity to observe what happens within us.  Watch the anger rise, observe the effects on the body.  When we fully focus on the emotion and it's effects internally without identifying fully with the thoughts and the mind storyline, we may notice a tightness or a block somewhere (generally in the chakra 1-3 area for anger).  By such constant observation and being present without the stories or associated thoughts of the mind, we can notice the tightness or block dissolving, rising and leave.  We do this time and again with all emotions just observing when we can.

This is the gist of the 'The Presence Process'.  It can work very well if done right.

1 minute ago, rideforever said:

Yes, I am also wondering energetically if something was taken from me.

It is highly unlikely that something like that happened.  If someone had that ability, they would not need to ask for the $2.

On the contrary someone who engages in such things is of a low level of consciousness and filled with darkness, often mechanically.
It happens all the time.
Just look at "the other site" that people have left.

Nevertheless learning well from small lessons, means that bigger lessons do not need to be taken.

Maybe flip it around. Whether from a 'geniune' need or a scam, the person that hits us up for money is feeling deficient some how. Giving freely, regardless of whether they need it or 'deserve' is is not really the point and nothing we can really know

. Giving from a place of knowing that there's enough is the real lesson to me. I always try to keep some money readily available and wonder who is really asking me when it happens. Then you are the one giving instead of them taking from you.

6 hours ago, Trish said:

Maybe flip it around. Whether from a 'geniune' need or a scam, the person that hits us up for money is feeling deficient some how. Giving freely, regardless of whether they need it or 'deserve' is is not really the point and nothing we can really know

. Giving from a place of knowing that there's enough is the real lesson to me. I always try to keep some money readily available and wonder who is really asking me when it happens. Then you are the one giving instead of them taking from you.

That is a wonderful response to the situation presented.  It is true that we may never know if there was a genuine need.  Nevertheless scanning is not the right way to go.  But flipping it this way is good from the standpoint of the one giving (or gave).

Posted (edited)

Seems to be a scam that has gone round the world.
Thinking back she had her act quite polished.
She could have been Romany, there are Romany gangs with various schemes.
Yeah it's only £2.
In such a world much worse things happen.
She must have a whole stack of cards.
Whenever she has the inclination walk into a cafe or bar and hit a few.
Then just carry on with your day as if nothing happened.
Nobody will arrest you for £2.
It's not even clear it's illegal.
Strange things.
Sometimes I have experienced someone walking right up to me and saying "Can I have xxxx pounds"
Walk right into your face, breaking various social conditioning; no hello no nothing.
Others sit on the floor outside the supermarket, wearing designer clothes, but they are still begging.
Strange thing, after being to the 3rd world.
When I was about 12 I was in one of the big parks in central London on a Sunday and a young kid said he wanted to ride my bike.
I told him no.  Before I knew it a gang of about 15 of them were around me, Romanies.
Standing in a circle they reigned blows down on me from all sides whilst I stood holding the handlebars of my bike.
Punched from all sides by this gang.
It was a sunny Sunday in the middle of the park, people everywhere.
Not sure how long it went on for before a woman somewhere started screaming and pushed into the ring.
And fled through the gap on the bike and was chased for a mile by a couple of them.
Several things have happened to me in my life.
People are what they are.
I suppose I always lived in the open, many people just drive everywhere.

Anyway just filled a report with the police for whatever good it does.

Edited by rideforever

Posted (edited)

Aha.   Deaf Peddling is an ancient activity.  Even books are made with details of how things work.
A quote :

Since negotiation seemed an unlikely avenue, I simply left Los Angeles. My next stop was San Francisco, where I encountered yet another Mexican deaf peddling ring; different peddlers, but they were selling the same novelties as those at LAX … obviously, this was a highly organized and very assertive peddling ring.
This was my first real experience with peddling rings, although I had heard about them earlier in my trip. A peddler organizer, or cow, generally targets deaf people who are struggling. They may be having financial troubles or vocational problems, but they almost always have a limited education. The cow also looks for loyalty, and when he finds the right combination of trouble and fidelity, he will take a deaf person under his wing. “You want to buy a car?” he’ll ask. “Well, sure,” comes the reply, “but how?” He’ll then take the prospective peddlers to his fine home and show them the lifestyle they, too, can acquire.

Perhaps he’ll set a goal for them, a new car like his to entice them to start peddling. For a while, he’ll even let them stay at his home for free. He might supply them with a used car, telling them they must prove themselves to him over a year’s time. Then, he will offer to put a portion of their earnings into a “savings plan,” so they can save enough to buy that brand new car. This type of arrangement is akin to an insurance policy for the cow, keeping the underlings working toward an incentive for the future.

A cow needs to be able to communicate well with different types of deaf people. He has to be good at gaining their trust and making them believe that the arrangement he is offering is a win-win proposition for both parties. In truth, the peddler may be expected to turn over all his peddling earnings, and may even be required to fulfill a specific dollar amount each day. To be sure there’s no cheating, the cow might frisk him to be certain the peddler is not holding back money.

In a different arrangement, the peddler might be expected to turn over 50 to 75 percent of his weekly income (and maybe even a specified amount toward a “savings plan”), with the cow providing the room and board, plus the novelties or cards to be peddled¾not to mention the very generous opportunity to work for him. The cow can earn as much as $2,000 a week from each peddler.

And where does he find these peddlers? I know one man who manages deaf peddlers. He owns his own home and is deaf, but has never actually worked as a peddler. He is very involved in the Deaf community, always attending Deaf events such as softball tournaments. The reason he’s so involved is that it gives him the opportunity to meet deaf people he might then hire. It’s the way cows recruit.

Although some might conclude that a peddling organizer at least offers deaf people with minimal language skills or job training a better chance at making a living, not all cows are benevolent. Any mention of deaf peddling rings wouldn’t be complete without bringing up an infamous case from 1997. State and federal agents raided two apartments in Queens, New York, that summer. They discovered fifty-seven deaf, illegal Mexican immigrants living in two apartments, along with seven people who were reported to be the ringleaders.

$1000 per weekend apparently, and those figures are 20 years old.

http://gupress.gallaudet.edu/excerpts/DPthree8.html

Edited by rideforever