click tracking

Mahamati said: Blessed One, tell us about the sustaining power of the Tathagatas by which the Bodhisattvas are aided to

attain self-realisation of Noble Wisdom?

The Blessed One replied: There are two kinds of sustaining power, which issue from the Tathagatas and are at the service

of the Bodhisattvas, sustained by which the Bodhisattvas should prostrate themselves before them and show their

appreciation by asking questions. The first kind of sustaining power is the Bodhisattva’s own adoration and faith in the

Buddhas by reason of which the Buddhas are able to manifest themselves and render their aid and to ordain them with

their own hands. The second kind of sustaining power is the power radiating from the Tathagatas that enables the

Bodhisattvas to attain and to pass through the various Samadhis and Samapattis without becoming intoxicated by their

bliss.

Being sustained by the power of the Buddhas, the Bodhisattva even at the first stage will be able to attain the Samadhi

known as the Light of Mahayana. In that Samadhi Bodhisattvas will become conscious of the presence of the Tathagatas

comming from all their different abodes in the ten quarters to impart to the Bodhisattvas their sustaining power in various

ways. As the Bodhisattva Vajragarbha was sustained in his Samadhis and as many other Bodhisattvas of like degree and

virtue have been sustained, so all earnest disciples and masters and Bodhisattvas may experience this sustaining power of

the Buddhas in their Samadhis and Samapattis. The disciple’s faith and the Tathagata’s merit are two aspects of the same

sustaining power and by it alone are the Bodhisattvas enabled to become one with the company of the Buddhas.

Whatever Samadhis, psychic faculties and teachings are realised by the Bodhisattvas, they are made possible only by the

sustaining power of the Buddhas; if it were otherwise, the ignorant and the simple-minded might attain the same fruitage.

Wherever the Tathagatas enter with their sustaining power there will be music, not only music made by human lips and

played by human hands on various instruments, but there will be music among the grass and shrubs and trees, and in the

mountains and towns and palaces and hovels; much more will there be music in the heart of those endowed with sentiency.

The deaf, dumb and blind will be cured of their deficiencies and will rejoice in their emancipation. Such is the

extraordinary virtue of the sustaining power imparted by the Tathagatas.

By the bestowal of this sutaining power, the Bodhisattvas are enabled to avoid the evils of passion, hatred and enslaving

karma; they are enabled to transcend the dhyana of the beginners and to advance beyond the experience and truth already

attained; they are enabled to demostrate the Paramitas; and finally, to attain the stage of Tathagatahood. Mahamati, if it

were not for this sustaining power, they would relapse into the ways and thoughts of the philosophers, easy-going disciples

and the evil-minded, and would thus fall short of the highest attainement. For these reasons, earnest disciples and sincere

Bodhisattvas are sustained by the power of all the Tathagatas.

Lankavatara Sutra Chapter IX

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, megantara said:

How does bliss become intoxicating, isn't that the "place" we (should) put our work on? or is bliss not about not caring to whatever happens outside?

One can get carried away or attached to the blissful feeling of energy stuff. To me, being “intoxicated” means chasing that feeling or trying to hold onto it, instead of letting the “bliss feelings” come and go as they may. 

• Like 1
On 9/21/2019 at 9:31 PM, Tom said:

Would anyone like to venture as to why I added the post to this section instead of the Buddhist section?

Something like "Jeff is a sustaining power for our light journey" ?

or, maybe better,

"That sustaining power flows through Jeff in the process of becoming Light here on the Primordial Way"?

And then we can all share that sustaining power with each other?

(This comes to mind after your recent post encouraging us to get up with Jeff every single day, if only for a few minutes, so as not to miss this opportunity.)

Edited by Cheya
On 9/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, SpectralStar said:

That sustained beam by which faith and merit are one is said to be fundamental. So a sort of, maybe subconsciouss, belief which creates the framework of the world?

Spectral,

That is very close to what sustaining power means in Buddhism. Sustaining power or Adhiṣṭhāna as it is called has a few meanings. It is a deep faith in the teachings of the Buddha. At a deeper level it is like an empowerment which enables one to go deeper within the system of practices.

For instance you can do Mahamudra meditation on your own but getting the empowerment will make it more powerful and allow you to realize the true meaning of the teaching/practice. In Buddhism you are not really doing Mahamudra unless you receive the empowerment.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cheya said:

Something like "Jeff is a sustaining power for our light journey" ?

or, maybe better,

"That sustaining power flows through Jeff in the process of becoming Light here on the Primordial Way"?

And then we can all share that sustaining power with each other?

(This comes to mind after your recent post encouraging us to get up with Jeff every single day, if only for a few minutes, so as not to miss this opportunity.)

Hi Cheya,

Light is a realization that is not dependent on anyone else.

With that being said we each had help achieving that realization. With that realization we now in turn can help others. We can pull people deeper, provide space for them to clear out obstructions which then allows them to realize deeper states of being.

In martial arts when someone achieves a black belt it doesn't mean they have mastered the art. It really means they have mastered the basics and it is from there that the real learning begins.

Going light is a change in being, but just like achieving a black belt it is only the beginning. Because it is just another beginning and not an end I work with those deeper than me on the path just like I did before I was light. They can help pull me deeper, share space which allows me to clear out my obstructions. Doing so allows the light that I have realized to flow through more and more.

I would agree that the more people that realize the light definitely helps to support others.

• Thanks 1

The second kind of sustaining power is the power radiating from the Tathagatas that enables the

Bodhisattvas to attain and to pass through the various Samadhis and Samapattis without becoming intoxicated by their

bliss.

Whatever Samadhis, psychic faculties and teachings are realised by the Bodhisattvas, they are made possible only by the

sustaining power of the Buddhas; if it were otherwise, the ignorant and the simple-minded might attain the same fruitage.

The light path is very similar to many traditions but it does have some differences.

If you look at the first statement above, "sustaining power is the power radiating from the Tathagatas".

One powerful thing that happens when one goes light is the connection to divine beings. It is not something that I for instance have to initiate. Everyday, all the time divine beings/Buddha's/the Tathagatas are connecting to us. Pushing/pulling us deeper. We can make that connection stronger by merging with the beings but that constant sustaining power/connection is always there pulling us deeper.

This is a much different meaning of sustaining power compared to that in Buddhism. In Buddhism there are no Buddha's that would/could connect to push you along the path.

The second part to me is saying that through that connection and merging, by letting go of your obstructions you clear away the junk that kept you from realizing deeper states of being and siddhis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1