click tracking

Chogyam Trungpa Quotes

I've been exploring the book, "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism" by Chogyam Trungpa. I think there's some great content I'd like to share from it.  I hope everyone enjoys!

If you have any quotes from his other books or talks, please share them !

"Proper shopping does not entail collecting a lot of information or beauty, but it involves fully appreciating each individual object. This is very important. If you really appreciate an object of beauty, then you completely identify with it and forget yourself. It is like seeing a very interesting, fascinating movie and forgetting that you are the audience.  At that moment there is no world ; your whole being is that scene of that movie." -Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism p16

Edited by FaXin

"There is a saying in Tibetan scriptures: "Knowledge must be burned, hammered and beaten like pure gold. Then one can wear it as an ornament."  So when you receive spiritual instruction from the hands of another, you do not take it uncritically, but you burn it, you hammer it, you beat it, until the bright, dignified color of gold appears.  Then you craft it into an ornament, whatever design you like, and you put it on.  Therefore, dharma is applicable to every age, to every person; it has a living quality.  It is not enough to imitate your master or guru; you are not trying to become a replica of your teacher.  The teachings are an individual personal experience, right down to the present holder of the doctrine." -Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism p17

13 hours ago, FaXin said:

"Proper shopping does not entail collecting a lot of information or beauty, but it involves fully appreciating each individual object. This is very important. If you really appreciate an object of beauty, then you completely identify with it and forget yourself. It is like seeing a very interesting, fascinating movie and forgetting that you are the audience.  At that moment there is no world ; your whole being is that scene of that movie." -Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism p16

What do you think about this?

Is what he saying a good or bad thing?

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

What do you think about this?

Is what he saying a good or bad thing?

I view it as a good thing. How about you?

The big part of it, for me, is the “forgetting yourself” and kind of being absorbed in the object. This can be with tantra or energy work (a dakini or deity), or it could be every moment of life. Rather than being removed from it or judging it, you kind of lose yourself (ego) in it. 

I think there is a big difference becoming one with something and getting lost/escaping into a movie.

To me what he is talking about is escapism, the opposite of being present.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think there is a big difference becoming one with something and getting lost/escaping into a movie.

To me what he is talking about is escapism, the opposite of being present.

Very interesting, thanks. What makes you think this?

7 minutes ago, FaXin said:

Very interesting, thanks. What makes you think this?

One way of looking at it is that if it was of spiritual benefit then everyone that reads a book and gets lost in the story would experience progression. Watching movies would lead to spiritual progression.

What a lot of people do when they are upset is that they will watch a movie to escape, to get lost in. Getting lost is not the same thing is being present.

What is the difference then between getting lost in a day dream and a movie? Nothing really but neither is the way..

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

One way of looking at it is that if it was of spiritual benefit then everyone that reads a book and gets lost in the story would experience progression. Watching movies would lead to spiritual progression.

What a lot of people do when they are upset is that they will watch a movie to escape, to get lost in. Getting lost is not the same thing is being present.

What is the difference then between getting lost in a day dream and a movie? Nothing really but neither is the way..

I see. Thank you for your insight. 

I took it more to mean one has fully accepted whatever is happening. For instance, one can be in the “witness” state, and be kind of separates from what is happening. Or they could be self examining (a big part of the book.)

When you watch a movie personally, do you lose yourself in it? Do you forget about the Tom story for a moment and identify with the characters? Whether the intention is to escape or simply pay attention, I think being absorbed in what you’re doing is a good thing. 

31 minutes ago, FaXin said:

I see. Thank you for your insight. 

I took it more to mean one has fully accepted whatever is happening. For instance, one can be in the “witness” state, and be kind of separates from what is happening. Or they could be self examining (a big part of the book.)

When you watch a movie personally, do you lose yourself in it? Do you forget about the Tom story for a moment and identify with the characters? Whether the intention is to escape or simply pay attention, I think being absorbed in what you’re doing is a good thing. 

If you are paying attention you are noticing every moment, everything in the foreground and the background. You have not lost identity, you are not lost and just going where the camera wants you to go. You notice it all.. when you are lost in the movie none of that happens.

Try it with music. Focus completely on just the guitar of a song, notice everything, the chord changes etc. Compare that to just getting lost in a song.

A big difference.

Edited by Tom
3 minutes ago, Tom said:

If you are paying attention you are noticing every moment, everything in the foreground and the background. You have not lost identity, you are not lost and just going where the camera wants you to go. You notice it all.. when you are lost in the movie none of that happens.

Try it with music. Focus completely on just the guitar of a song, notice everything, the chord changes etc. Compare that to just getting lost in a song.

A big difference.

Good things to ponder. Thank you. 

"In order to establish a real teacher-student relationship it is necessary for us to give up all our preconceptions regarding that relationship and the condition of opening and surrender. "Surrender" means opening oneself completely, trying to get beyond fascination and expectation." -CTSM p24

On 7/31/2019 at 2:20 AM, FaXin said:

Just had a look at my copy.  He is referring to the subject of Spiritual Materialism, how people shop around reading and perusing and pickingat ... they treat spirituality lightly like another fancy thing to collect.  And another aspect of missing the mark is treating spirituality like a museum.
In this paragraph he is trying to say that instead of superficial pick and mix, we should go in depth into something with commitment to suck the marrow out.  He seems to mean something like embodying the entire Buddhist light, rather than being on the surface.
He is not referring to the mechanism of identification, although he happens to describe it well, but that's not what he is talking about here.

1 hour ago, rideforever said:

Just had a look at my copy.  He is referring to the subject of Spiritual Materialism, how people shop around reading and perusing and pickingat ... they treat spirituality lightly like another fancy thing to collect.  And another aspect of missing the mark is treating spirituality like a museum.
In this paragraph he is trying to say that instead of superficial pick and mix, we should go in depth into something with commitment to suck the marrow out.  He seems to mean something like embodying the entire Buddhist light, rather than being on the surface.
He is not referring to the mechanism of identification, although he happens to describe it well, but that's not what he is talking about here.

Yes, thank you for the clarification - and great to see you here. :)

3 hours ago, rideforever said:

I had a teacher once who liked to say, 'Choose a runway...'

He is a good guy, there are some black and white recordings of his teaching shamata and mahamudra in the US some years ago.
I read that book many years ago and I thought it was fantastic.
But over the years I have learnt that the only thing that counts is realisation, and the direct understanding of how to awaken yourself meaning technical skill that results in realisation.
Everything else will mean nothing at the end.
He himself had a rather "complicated" journey.

3 minutes ago, rideforever said:

He is a good guy, there are some black and white recordings of his teaching shamata and mahamudra in the US some years ago.
I read that book many years ago and I thought it was fantastic.
But over the years I have learnt that the only thing that counts is realisation, and the direct understanding of how to awaken yourself meaning technical skill that results in realisation.
Everything else will mean nothing at the end.
He himself had a rather "complicated" journey.

Yes, I am enjoying the book too. His audio recordings are hard for me because of his thick accent and the cadence in which he speaks. 

I appreciate his focus on personal experience and direct understanding (like the quote about hammering out the gold amulet).