click tracking
Sign in to follow this  

Experiments With Sexual Practices For Women

This topic contains content that is of a sexual nature, referring to sexual practices and sex organs.  It is not intended for people under age 18, and it is not intended to be read at work.

Lately, I've started actively pursuing a line of investigation on sexual spiritual practices, particularly as they apply to women.  The investigation has two parts:  one is going through the literature that is directed specifically at women and evaluating it, and the other is going through the literature directed at men and re-interpreting/translating it into the female body experience.  I've been using my own body for the experimenting and have been keeping a daily log to help me spot trends.  The reason I'm doing this is that some of the material out there directed at women seems suspect at best or even directly harmful, and some of it seems really good and worthwhile.  My hope is to separate the gold apples from the road apples, or at least provide a direct experience-based evaluation of what's out there for women who are making their own decisions about what practices to pursue.  

Edited by liz

First...  A little bit on energy, light and guru yoga

There are two very distinct kinds of energy I've experienced.  One is the body energy, which feels warm, or even hot, and electric.  It can be consciously observed flowing in channels within the local body/mind.  Examples of these channels are the body meridians in Taoism (which I'm still mostly unfamiliar with) and the Ida, Pingala, Shushumna channels in yoga.  

The other is a self-originated substrate energy, often called "light," which feels cool, or even cold, and clear.  It flows through the universal/substrate space, and an individual with access to this space can connect to another individual, or even many other individuals, and form loops of energy/light.

The sexual practices that I'm evaluating stir up the body energy in a big way.  This energy hits obstructions in the local body mind and, if managed correctly, can lead to healing of emotional traumas, body injuries, and disease.  It can also result in a more youthful appearance.  But if this energy is stirred up and has nowhere to go, or if it gets stirred up and the channels aren't open enough to handle it, then you can develop all sorts of difficulty - raging emotions, flashback visions, skin rashes and boils, splitting headaches.  I've been there.  It's extremely un-fun.

The reason I feel I can experiment with these practices with minimum disruption to my life is that I have a supportive and loving husband, and I have friends who can help me process this energy.  Their conscious awareness resides in the light, the universal substrate, so when my body energy gets stirred up, it has somewhere to go, through the connection with my friends.  The obstructions coming loose in my body/mind hit them also, and it forms a joint purification process for all of us with each of us providing space for the purification to happen.

All of this is a long and detailed explanation for the statement:  "Don't try any of this alone!"  There's a reason for the old, and some believe outdated, belief that you need a guru/ master/ teacher to guide the energy practices.  The guru/ master/ teacher resides in the light, the universal substrate, and can provide the space needed to clear the obstructions when they start coming up.  And believe me, the obstructions do come up, something on the order of a crap-ton sometimes, and it can be some pretty ugly stuff too.   :)

If you're interested in formal guru yoga, there's an explanation given in the "Heart Essence of the Khandro: Experiential Instructions on Bonpo Dzogchen."  This is an outstanding book on the teachings of two female buddhas and their lineage holders.  It's a book I intend to review at some point in this topic.  I practice a little differently than what is described in the book, but in its essence it is the same.

Try to visualize the  Dakini as clearly as you can....  First of all look at the picture, it gives you a brief idea of her features.  But don't think that the dakini you visualize is like this; she is not merely a painting, not always hanging out on the thankgka.  She is completely luminous light, pure, and full of knowledge....

When you have completed the visualization of her whole body, focus there as long as you can.  Then receive the three elements from her in the same way as usual.  Wisdom fire emanates from her heart level and, entering the crown of your head, it burns away all your defilements.  Then wisdom water flows from the Dakini's heart and washes away any defilements which are left.  Finally visualize that wisdom wind comes to you from the Dakini's heart and blows away any remaining impurities.  So you are completely purified, ready to receive the blessings of the Dakinis.

Then after this, you receive the three seed syllables which represent the Dakini's body, speech and mind.  These come to you as a white A, a red OM and a blue HUNG which emanate from the Dakini's forehead, neck and chest respectively and are integrated with you so that you become full of blessings and siddhi. 

That is real, practical initiation or empowerment.  'Empowerment' means that the Dakini's knowledge is transferred from her to you and you receive it through your devotion.  That is what taking empowerment really means (Heart essence of the Khandro, page 52).

Edited by liz

So, for the current line of investigation....

I'm investigating what effect menstruation has on spiritual practices and whether there is any benefit to making an effort to lighten menstruation.  I've seen it stated in several sources, mostly Taoist, that women lose vital energy not through orgasm, but through menstruation.  There are practices to do, diets to adhere to, and herbs and other medicines to ingest all with the specified intent of lessening the menstrual flow.  My own experience with this is that there is huge expansion and access to greater depth and clarity of mind during menstruation.  During ovulation, I feel a contraction of awareness, where the mind is busier and where awareness is residing more in the local body/mind energy.  Because of this experience, I wonder if it is really the inhibition of ovulation that leads to more stable spiritual growth and expansion.  It seems to me that light or absent menstruation is just the more visible aspect of inhibited ovulation.

Before I say anything else, I need to say it is not necessary to do anything with the menstrual cycle in order to realize the light/substrate consciousness.  I actually bleed quite heavily and on a 26-day cycle, so we can put any assertions that menstruation inhibits spiritual growth to bed right now.  Any statement to that effect is not true.  Lighter menstrual bleeding probably makes a woman feel better and is less taxing on the body (It is certainly less messy!), but it is not a prerequisite to realizing the light/substrate consciousness.  

My questions are more along the lines of:

* Do the practices for inhibiting ovulation/lessening menstruation have their intended effect - meaning, do they actually inhibit ovulation or lessen menstrual flow?

* Does inhibited ovulation/ lighter menstrual flow have the advertised benefit of less vital energy loss?  What does that feel like?  Are there side-effects?

* Does inhibited ovulation/ lighter menstrual flow have any effect on the natural shifts from expansion to contraction to expansion that I experience myself and that appear to follow the woman's natural cycle?  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sources for the idea that vital energy is lost through menstruation:

Mantak Chia

Taoism explains that the major way men lose energy is through ejaculation, while women’s major loss of energy occurs through menstruation, not through sexual intercourse. For a young, healthy woman, menstruation entails an additional energy expenditure as she carries on her daily business. Assuming that a woman starts having periods at age twelve and continues through menopause in her fifties, she could have as many as three to five hundred menstrual periods in her lifetime. Each month the ovaries produce an egg that contains highly perfected creative energy. A great deal of energy also goes into creating necessary hormones and the uterine lining, which provides a nest for a fertilized egg. This expenditure accounts for 30 to 40 percent of a woman’s daily energy allotment. If this sexual energy is continually permitted to pour outward, she loses 30 to 40 percent of her life-force energy. However, as we shall see, there is a way for her to transform this energy into vital energy for the organs, glands, brain, and bone marrow and into spiritual energy.

Chia, Mantak (2005-07-15). Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy (Kindle Locations 148-155). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Ovarian Breathing is the process by which the ovarian (sexual) energy is transformed into Chi. If practiced every day, Ovarian Breathing can conserve the life-force energy that otherwise would be lost through menstruation. As a result of this practice, many women notice a distinct shortening of the duration of their menstrual flow, or a decrease in cramps or other problems associated with their periods. With continued practice menstruation may cease, because all of the sexual energy is being trans-formed into a higher life-force energy.

Chia, Mantak (2005-07-15). Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy (Kindle Locations 333-336). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Lai, Hsi:

The menstrual flow of blood moving down through the vagina can also cause damage. Menstrual blood is a body excrement, just as feces, urine, pus, and sweat are. Women who bleed heavily suffer more health problems than females who bleed lightly. Menstruation itself is the natural cleanser of the female body, but when the bleeding is too heavy and irregular, many health problems can ensue. The Tigress seeks to lessen the flow or eliminate the menstrual cycle in order to restore her youthfulness. During the first twelve to fourteen years of a female’s life she has no menstrual cycle, but just as the initial ejaculation of semen triggers the aging process in males, the initial menstrual discharge signals the aging process in females.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (pp. 95-96). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Dong Quai Herb
Dong quai, a Chinsese herb readily available at any herb store, is very beneficial for women (but dangerous for asthmatics and women who are pregnant). Tigresses normally drank one cup of dong quai tea every morning. This herb is well known for its incredible effects of lessening the menstrual flow, increasing energy and vitality, and restoring the milk ducts within the breasts, thus making them firmer.
T’ien Ho Pills
T’ien ho (heavenly happiness) is a very popular herbal compound that  was used primarily by women of wealthy households and was originally a pill that all royal consorts ingested. These pills are readily available in any Asian herbal store. The reason the pills became so popular is that they have a remarkable effect on relieving the irritability preceding menstruation, eliminating blood clotting, increasing sexual desire, and preventing insomnia. The Tigress takes these pills seven days prior to her menstrual period.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 212). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sources for the idea that vital energy is needed for spiritual growth:

We are all born with an abundance of energy that the Taoists call the principal energy, or Jing. For a woman, Jing—the generative or creative energy—is necessary to make the eggs, create the uterine lining and hormones, and keep her sexually active. Jing Chi, supplemented with the energy of the air we breathe and the food we eat, permits the woman’s body to endow her eggs with the life-force energy that will be carried into the next generation. Jing is also converted into life-force energy for the organs, which is called Chi. The ancient Taoists, after identifying this type of energy, observed that conserving or restoring Jing could promote a longer and healthier life. Sexual energy (Jing or creative energy) is the only energy that can be doubled, tripled, or increased even more. We can conserve or restore lost principal energy, or Jing, if we know how to conserve, recycle, and transform raw sexual energy back into principal energy. We then will have more principal energy available to transform into Chi, which in turn becomes transformed into another type of energy, called Shen. The word Shen means spiritual energy (see fig. 1.1).

Chia, Mantak (2005-07-15). Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy (Kindle Locations 157-158). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Here's an even better one:
Ovarian energy is the energy used for the development of one’s higher consciousness. These practices that transform the sexual energy into Chi provide the foundation for the spiritual exercises that transform sexual and Chi energy into Shen, a sheer spiritual energy. The Taoists call the process of cleansing the internal organs of negative emotions “inner alchemy,” and it is this inner alchemy that restores to the organs their birthright of love, joy, gentleness, kindness, respect, honesty, fairness, and righteousness. Once the organs are cleansed and healthy, and you have developed the ability to transfer and transform sexual energy into life-force energy, your spiritual development can begin. It is at this level that the generative energy of the ovaries is used in what the Taoists call “giving birth to yourself,” which means developing the spirit body from which you will attain enlightenment.

Chia, Mantak (2005-07-15). Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy (Kindle Locations 321-326). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Edited by liz

Needless to say, I won't be ingesting any substances as suggested in the quotes above.  Herbal medicines can be quite potent and, unless I've researched a medicine thoroughly and determined it to be safe, I'm not putting it in my mouth.  This also applies to birth control pills.  That would be an easy way to both inhibit ovulation and prevent menstruation.  All I have to do is skip the seven days of placebo pills, and it's bye-bye period.  But I think such measures are far too much of a shock to the body system, and the long-term effects of birth control are not well enough researched for me to be comfortable taking it now.  Also, I've been on the pill, and I don't recall feeling good while on it.  I've even skipped the seven days of placebo pills, so that I wouldn't be on my period on my honeymoon, and I remember pretty much feeling like crap as my body adjusted.  (Normally I prefer politer language, but this is one instance where the stronger language is just more honestly descriptive.)

Instead, I'm relying on breast massage, breast pumping (with a breast pump that nursing mothers use), and sexual stimulation to change the hormonal balance in favor of inhibited ovulation.

The reason for the pumping is that lactation is surest non-external-chemical way to inhibit ovulation that I can think of.  Another reason is because of this quote:

Later that day, while she was pounding more seeds with her pestle, she came over and sat next to me, opened the top of her dress, and told me to suck on her breast until I could taste a sweet liquid coming from the nipple. After about ten minutes I could taste it and it was incredible....

"Your eyes will feel better now. Too much book reading is no good for them, or for your Jade Stem." Interestingly enough, my eyes stopped hurting shortly thereafter.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 31). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

This is an example of a woman who is old enough to be way past menopause, but who is clearly lactating.  This tells me that lactation, even though it is not mentioned as a practice, is certainly part of the regime.

The other practices in my current regime include these breast massage techniques:

Tightening the Upper Breast
Exercising the muscle behind the fat tissue of the upper breast can help restore the firmness of the breasts. For this part of the breast to be restored, however, all the other exercises must be used in conjunction with this one. Sit upright on the edge of a chair. Remove any clothing. Rub both hands together vigorously to make them warm. Place one hand on the outside upper edge of each breast and make firm movements of pressing in and pushing diagonally upward. Do so at least forty-eight times per day for one hundred days.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 175). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition

Uplifting the Breasts
This exercise helps firm the milk glands in the lower breast and strengthens the muscle behind them. This will help overcome the sagging of the breasts and also helps tighten the upper breast. It is important not to let the hands pass over the nipples, as this will cause discomfort. Again, after sitting upright and rubbing both hands together to warm them, place one palm under each breast as if cupping it. Without trying to move the hands, and relying more on the movements of the arms and shoulders, press in and push the breasts upward and in. Do so forty-eight times for one hundred days.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 176). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Squeezing the Breasts Outward

This exercise strengthens and firms the upper breast, all the milk glands, and the muscle behind the breast. It also aids in making the breasts fuller and more extended.  Again, while seated upright, warm the hands. Place one hand over each breast, with the nipples placed between the index and middle fingers. Squeeze the breasts and pull outward. Do so forty-eight times per day for one hundred days. Be careful not to pinch the nipples between the fingers.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 176 - 177). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

These breast massage techniques, after a few weeks of practice, seem very good to me, and I do wish they were taught to women as a matter of course as a way to keep the breast tissue healthy.  The exercises also strengthen the muscles in the upper chest and back and can go a long way to relieving pain that comes from having big, heavy breasts and from wearing a modern bra.  Overall, the breast massages seem very beneficial to health.  

Edited by liz

As an aside...  If one thinks about it...  The energy demands of lactation are enormous!  Been there - with a single baby and with twins!  I don't see how this jives with the supposed retention of vital energy promised by reduced menstruation, but I guess I'll see what happens.  The guideline is to practice these every day for 100 days, so I'll give it that long to see what, if any, effects there are.  I'm on day 16.

Now for a little bit on the philosophy underlying this system

This appears to be a system where you "build" an immortal body through sexual practices.  Firstly by restoring a youthful appearance and secondly by giving birth to a spirit body that will retain one's conscious awareness through the death experience.

White Tigresses practiced spiritual sexual methods for the restoration of their youthfulness and to achieve immortality.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 4). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

....immortality carries the ideas of living with optimum health, living longer while maintaining a youthful physical appearance and disposition, and achieving lucid consciousness upon death.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 6). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

The means they use to accomplish both of these goals is to have oral sex with many men and have them ejaculate onto their faces.  The chi energy that is lost during the ejaculation is absorbed by the woman into the 3rd eye, producing spiritual illumination, and the semen is absorbed into the skin restoring its appearance.

The physical goal of the Tigress is first to re-create the sexual responses in her body that were initially developed during adolescence, which would aid the development of her physical restoration. In doing this she would retard the aging process. She then proceeds to develop her practice and experiences of Absorption of Male Sexual Energy, also referred to as Absorbing the Dragon’s Breath, for developing a state of hypersensitivity through an intense sexual stimulation. Absorption is the ability to mentally and physically induce the energy of the male orgasm into herself, whereby she then uses that masculine (yang) energy to both fortify and enhance her own feminine (yin) energy. It is her practice of Absorbing the Dragon’s Breath then that leads to her spiritual goal of achieving Illumination of the Mind, which is the experience of seeing numerous, small, lanternlike lights swaying very gently inside her head. The Tigress needs to experience this illumination nine separate times in order to produce sufficient energy to create her Virgin Immortaless’s Spiritual Fetus, and for the sake of progress she attempts to bring about these nine illuminations within a three-year period. Like her counterpart, the male Taoist, she needs this spiritual fetus in order to undergo the metamorphosis from mortality to immortality. It is best to think of this as a spiritual pregnancy wherein giving birth to the spiritual fetus is like shedding the mortal body in exchange for an immortal one—or like a caterpillar shedding its cocoon and emerging as a butterfly. So in looking at the Tigress’s practice in light of the butterfly analogy, the Restoration Period (first three-year practice period) is synonymous with a developing caterpillar, the Preservation Period (second three years) with the caterpillar wrapping itself in the cocoon, and the Refinement Period (final three years) with the emergence of a butterfly.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (pp. 8-9). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

The system appears to be based on the belief that Hsi Wang Mu (Xi Wangmu) achieved immortality via this very process.
Hsi Wang Mu obtained immortality through restoring her feminine energy. Her forces became so strong that when she lured a man’s Jade Stem [penis] near her mouth, with even one union he would fall exhausted, while her face glowed radiantly with his essence upon it. She no longer has need for any type of cosmetics. She can absorb the essence of a hundred men without causing her any exhaustion, as her body is like that of a young girl full of vitality and stamina. This spiritual mother has no use for husbands. Loving men the way they wished to be loved and knowing the secret of yin convergence made her an immortaless. Most certainly these men dared not divulge the true nature of the spiritual mother’s techniques.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 22). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Sometimes the Tigress would acquire a partner, called a Jade Dragon.  They would enter into a contractual arrangement, where they would work together for three years to cultivate the vital energy and achieve enlightenment.  He would guarantee her protection and provide financial security and also recruit men for her to fellate.  The men she fellated for their vital energy were called Green Dragons.

To accomplish her goals, the Tigress makes periodic use of Green Dragons, men who are seduced purely for their sexual energy. She is with them no more than nine times in a given period and is often secretly or openly watched by her Jade Dragon during her seduction of Green Dragons. Though many Tigresses do seek Jade Dragons, a Tigress does not need a Jade Dragon to accomplish her goals. Such a male partner is acquired for three reasons: for financial support, for physical protection, and as a trusted partner for the more advanced Transformational Techniques.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 12). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

The oral sex with the Green Dragons was intended to be intense, but not intimate.  The object was to give the man an intense pleasurable experience and to provide her with vital energy.

A Tigress sought to bring a man to the point of orgasm just as much through sheer mental excitement as with physical manipulation, wanting his mind to experience orgasm as much as his body. For this to occur, she incorporated several techniques, some of which have been mentioned already but are expanded upon below. Her primary procedures fell into five categories:
Remaining partially dressed
Positioning herself on her knees
Making sensual sounds
Physically intensifying the sexual act
Creating lots of saliva
Generally speaking, the Tigress would attempt during each encounter with a Green Dragon to accentuate and appeal to his senses of sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. If all five senses were sensually activated, then the Green Dragon would surely provide a very intense orgasm for her to both congeal and absorb.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (pp. 219-220). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

A Tigress never completely undressed for Green Dragons, doing so only with her Jade Dragon. Her encounters with Green Dragons were always treated as if they were clandestine affairs and were always somewhat hurried. She did this both to ensure the intensity and to prevent too much romantic attachment from occurring on his part.

Lai, Hsi (2001-08-01). The Sexual Teachings of the White Tigress: Secrets of the Female Taoist Masters (p. 220). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

There are many more practices included in this book than are included in this post, but this seems like a decent representative summary of the approach.  

Incidentally, a reference to the practice of men absorbing vital energy from women can be found here:  

In centuries past, the emperor of China invariably called in the court sages, usually Taoist, to obtain advice on his sex life. Before accepting the advice of any sage, the story goes, the emperor required any prospective master to prove his sexual control. He did this by offering the would-be advisor a full glass of wine and demanding that the sage insert his penis into it. If he was truly a master, he would be able to absorb the wine into his penis and then release it back into the wine glass. This was taken as absolute proof that the sage could also absorb a woman’s sexual fluids, her yin essence, and therefore knew the secrets of immortality.

Chia, Mantak (2005-07-15). Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy (Kindle Locations 613-617). Inner Traditions/Bear & Company. Kindle Edition. 

Edited by liz

There are so many things that need to be addressed here, and they're pretty hard to prioritize.  

One is the belief that you can "build" an immortal body.  In my experience, it just doesn't work that way.

Another is the misunderstanding of the convergence of yin and yang energies and the probable misunderstanding of the story of Xi Wangmu.

Another is predatory nature of this philosophy and of some of the practices.

And another is that I don't see how any of this relates to anything I've read in the Tao Te Ching.  

Coming up...

Wow, that's a lot to take in!

:)  Yeah, it was a lot for one day.

On "building" a light body...

There's an alternate view I'd like to put forth...

We are light.  We don't need to build what we already are.  

What happens instead is that our conscious awareness expands to include subtler and subtler perception.  We can consciously perceive, at subtler and subtler levels, where we are holding on and where we are pushing away.  We can gently hold that story, that memory, that pain in our conscious awareness and let it integrate with our being.  It is a conscious, awake person saying, "yes, this too" and unconditionally accepting.  In short, the process is one of forgiveness.  Some people describe it as the light dissolving obstructions, but I really do prefer to think of it as integration.  We are integrating obstructions, our darkness, back into the light, back into what we are.  With that integration comes expansion.  When we expand, we can see subtler obstructions, places where the light can't get through, and the process continues.  The disease, the mortality, is that we hold our sense of self separate from the light.  :)

When someone intends to "build" an immortal light body, a separated sense of self (an ego) is working to accomplish the goal.  It is the darkness trying to build its own light.  Until a person realizes that they are the light they are they are trying to create, all the work is in vain.  Perhaps some people have realized the light in this way, but I don't know any, and honestly I don't see how it would work.

Is this some version of Tantra?

There is a thing called 'orgasmic meditation' popular here. Pretty much its focused not on orgasm per se but the energy stirred up from slow rhythmic sexual touch by a partner while in a meditative state.

For more information on meridians (if you care) read the acupressure or acupuncture materials, it a lot more straightforward and practical oriented.

First...  A little bit on energy, light and guru yoga

There are two very distinct kinds of energy I've experienced.  One is the body energy, which feels warm, or even hot, and electric.  It can be consciously observed flowing in channels within the local body/mind.  Examples of these channels are the body meridians in Taoism (which I'm still mostly unfamiliar with) and the Ida, Pingala, Shushumna channels in yoga.  

The other is a self-originated substrate energy, often called "light," which feels cool, or even cold, and clear.  It flows through the universal/substrate space, and an individual with access to this space can connect to another individual, or even many other individuals, and form loops of energy/light.

The sexual practices that I'm evaluating stir up the body energy in a big way.  This energy hits obstructions in the local body mind and, if managed correctly, can lead to healing of emotional traumas, body injuries, and disease.  It can also result in a more youthful appearance.  But if this energy is stirred up and has nowhere to go, or if it gets stirred up and the channels aren't open enough to handle it, then you can develop all sorts of difficulty - raging emotions, flashback visions, skin rashes and boils, splitting headaches.  I've been there.  It's extremely un-fun.

The reason I feel I can experiment with these practices with minimum disruption to my life is that I have a supportive and loving husband, and I have friends who can help me process this energy.  Their conscious awareness resides in the light, the universal substrate, so when my body energy gets stirred up, it has somewhere to go, through the connection with my friends.  The obstructions coming loose in my body/mind hit them also, and it forms a joint purification process for all of us with each of us providing space for the purification to happen.

All of this is a long and detailed explanation for the statement:  "Don't try any of this alone!"  There's a reason for the old, and some believe outdated, belief that you need a guru/ master/ teacher to guide the energy practices.  The guru/ master/ teacher resides in the light, the universal substrate, and can provide the space needed to clear the obstructions when they start coming up.  And believe me, the obstructions do come up, something on the order of a crap-ton sometimes, and it can be some pretty ugly stuff too.   :)

My female friends that are also energy aware report more energy during menstruation and also more sensitivity to energy. This allows them to greatly improve clarity when trying to 'See'.

Obviously I am male and can't relate my personal experiences in this matter. However I am very accomplished in energy things. I suggest paying more attention to where the energy comes 'from' and where it flows to. This is more important than if it feels warm or cold. I'm sure its no surprise that reproductive activities (including lactation and uterine build up for egg implantation) cause big buildups in energy in those areas. That energy releases if no pregnancy has happens (probably the source of more energy during menstruation). The energy releases differently in different areas (uterus, breasts, etc).

There is a corresponding (perhaps smaller) energy cycle (for fertile women) in the ovulation cycle, but I have never heard anyone talk about it.

Disclaimer: not totally sure on the use of the term 'light body'

It seems to me that though we (most of us anyway) are light based, that does not mean in the incarnate form that enough of our 'light' is here to be a fully formed 'body'.

In my experience, it is quite possible to bring 'more' of me to the material plane.

From that perspective, though we might be light, we may still have to build a body (of light) if we are currently in our 'normal' incarnate wispy form.

On "building" a light body...

There's an alternate view I'd like to put forth...

We are light.  We don't need to build what we already are.  

Regarding helpful partner interactions, full manual stimulation (including orgasm) can be done with energy alone (no physical touch). Experimenting with this should highlight the energy parts of sexuality as opposed to the physical/biochemical aspects.

"

The reason I feel I can experiment with these practices with minimum disruption to my life is that I have a supportive and loving husband, and I have friends who can help me process this energy.  Their conscious awareness resides in the light, the universal substrate, so when my body energy gets stirred up, it has somewhere to go, through the connection with my friends.  The obstructions coming loose in my body/mind hit them also, and it forms a joint purification process for all of us with each of us providing space for the purification to happen."

Is this some version of Tantra?

There is a thing called 'orgasmic meditation' popular here. Pretty much its focused not on orgasm per se but the energy stirred up from slow rhythmic sexual touch by a partner while in a meditative state.

For more information on meridians (if you care) read the acupressure or acupuncture materials, it a lot more straightforward and practical oriented.

I originally had Tantra in the topic title and then took it out.  I'm not sure if the Taoist system refers to sexual energy cultivation practices as Tantra.  I've seen sexual energy cultivation practices as part of an overall Tantric approach in Buddhist and Hindu yoga systems.  The idea of Tantra encompasses so much more than sex in these systems, and I'm pretty much focusing on the sex part, mostly because I think that's where there's a lot of misinformation.  But there's also some good information.   :)

Orgasmic meditation sounds cool, and much like what I'm doing with the pumping - staying in a meditative state and watching the energy flows while the pump stimulates the breasts.  One kind if interesting thing is that the pumping no longer gets my sexual energy revved up.   Might be time to add another stimulative component. 

Thanks for the tip on finding information on the body meridians.   :)

Edited by liz

My female friends that are also energy aware report more energy during menstruation and also more sensitivity to energy. This allows them to greatly improve clarity when trying to 'See'.

Obviously I am male and can't relate my personal experiences in this matter. However I am very accomplished in energy things. I suggest paying more attention to where the energy comes 'from' and where it flows to. This is more important than if it feels warm or cold. I'm sure its no surprise that reproductive activities (including lactation and uterine build up for egg implantation) cause big buildups in energy in those areas. That energy releases if no pregnancy has happens (probably the source of more energy during menstruation). The energy releases differently in different areas (uterus, breasts, etc).

There is a corresponding (perhaps smaller) energy cycle (for fertile women) in the ovulation cycle, but I have never heard anyone talk about it.

The temperature is how my body/mind translates the depth of the transmission.   Energy coming from a human at the local energy body level feels warm and electric.  Energy coming from outside this world system or even deeper feels frigidly cold. 

I used to watch the energy and feel who it was coming from and where it was going, but I no longer care so much unless I feel something new.  I just let it flow and don't pay it too much mind.

There's something very interesting in what you said above.  I don't see the connection between retention of one's gametes and energy flow.  But if the process is really where the gametes are destroyed and transformed, well, maybe there's something to that, although I've no idea right now how to investigate it.  Will kick it around a while.

Disclaimer: not totally sure on the use of the term 'light body'

It seems to me that though we (most of us anyway) are light based, that does not mean in the incarnate form that enough of our 'light' is here to be a fully formed 'body'.

In my experience, it is quite possible to bring 'more' of me to the material plane.

From that perspective, though we might be light, we may still have to build a body (of light) if we are currently in our 'normal' incarnate wispy form.

"Light body," as I understand it, refers to the form that can be perceived in the universal/substrate consciousness space.

I'm not trying to say that one should not make an effort.  I'm just saying that it's important to understand the nature of that effort.  And in my view the nature of that effort is integration and forgiveness.

Regarding helpful partner interactions, full manual stimulation (including orgasm) can be done with energy alone (no physical touch). Experimenting with this should highlight the energy parts of sexuality as opposed to the physical/biochemical aspects.

Yep :)  

Thanks for engaging this topic!

"Light body," as I understand it, refers to the form that can be perceived in the universal/substrate consciousness space.

I'm not trying to say that one should not make an effort.  I'm just saying that it's important to understand the nature of that effort.  And in my view the nature of that effort is integration and forgiveness.

Hi Liz,

If you don't mind... What do you mean by the "universal/substrate consciousness space"?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Liz,

If you don't mind... What do you mean by the "universal/substrate consciousness space"?

Thanks,

Jeff

No, I don't mind.   :)

It's a lot easier to slap a label on something than it is to try to capture its essence in words...  Not sure I can, but here's my best shot.

It's a mind space or condition of being where I feel the light flowing through my body.

It's a mind space or condition of being where I feel everything in this universe as sentient, and within me, and as part of my own sentience.

It feels like unity and boundless joy.

Some people characterize breaking into universal consciousness as a like a chick breaking out of its egg and looking around for the first time.  

But really, it's the realization that there was never an egg, and there's no chick either.  There's just light, and nothing brings that home quite like feeling the light transmission moving through one's body.

P.S.  Or one could simply call it subconscious mind...

Edited by liz

It seems that the quickest route to accessing the universal/substrate consciousness is through one's local consciousness and through the introduction to that universal mindspace by someone who is already residing there.  

To begin preparing for that expansion and opening, one can simply start to pay attention on purpose.  One only needs to be aware of the thoughts running through one's mind, the little images and stories that pop up out of nowhere, the heartbeat, the breathing, the tension in one's muscles, the emotional state, the energy state, etc... all the time.  I'm not suggesting that someone should mentally log every little twitch for recall later on.  I'm merely suggesting that constant awareness of one's local body/mind is indispensable preparation for conscious access to universal mind or light.  

Some energy work is useful because it stirs up more stuff to be aware of.  We don't feel energy moving in our bodies unless it is hitting obstructions.  We can do practices to ramp up the energy we feel, which is really ramping up the intensity of vibration of our obstructions.  As the energy gets turbo-charged, we can feel those obstructions in our body and find the subtle mind story that is repeating as the obstructions are being rattled.  We can feel the emotion that is caused by this disturbance.  Once we are conscious of where we are pushing away or holding on, we can integrate, forgive.

While I see benefit to practices that increase the energy flow in the body (because they help us find obstructions to integrate), right now I see no benefit to the deliberate retention and storage of energy in the local body.  Instead, I think it makes much more sense to just let the energy flow naturally with life.  We exchange energy with everyone we encounter all the time.  When I go to a sandwich shop and order something to eat and chat up the guy behind the counter, we're exchanging energy with our conversation.  There's usually not enough energy in the encounter for it to register consciously, but it's happening.  

When people have sex, due to the intimacy of the lovemaking, that energy exchange is exponentially greater.  The man shares his yang energy (or transmits), and the woman shares her yin energy (or receives), providing space for all that energy to release.  After the man orgasms and ejaculates, he becomes soft and receptive and, as they cuddle, the woman sends all that yang energy back to him plus interest.  Cuddling is a way for the man to share his space (yin energy) with the woman and receive her transmission (yang energy).  The woman transmitting or sharing yang energy happens at a subconscious level for most women, and the man receiving or sharing yin energy happens at a subconscious level for most men, but I do perceive it happening.  I would like to propose that all love-based interactions are a wholly two-way street.  We can't fully love if we are holding back due to some fear of loss.

The belief that vital energy should be retained makes sexual energy into something that needs to be controlled and hoarded.  It makes men and woman into enemies of each other because each is seen as robbing the other of their vital essence.  It pits men and women against their own bodies as they struggle to change their physical form into something that can support this belief.  I don't see any benefit to it.  Also, when one accesses the universal/substrate consciousness, one knows that they are light.  It is mind that holds the body together, whether consciously or subconsciously.  The body does not hold itself together independent of mind because it has no existence independent of mind.  Hoarding energy in the body makes no sense to me.  We are not the body.

I suppose all this brings me full circle with the experiment I'm doing on practices to reduce or stop menstruation and inhibit ovulation to retain my own vital energy.  I'm unsure whether I'll continue.  I think the experiment has taught me a lot even if I don't have the full 100 days of data that I intended to collect. 

Edited by liz

"While I see benefit to practices that increase the energy flow in the body (because they help us find obstructions to integrate), right now I see no benefit to the deliberate retention and storage of energy in the local body.  Instead, I think it makes much more sense to just let the energy flow naturally with life. "

Isn't that like saying there is no need to build up physical strength, let your strength be whatever happens from daily life?

Seem to me that 'big' events require more than the daily fitness level. As such, building up ones capacity prepares them for tasks requiring more capability.

Energy is also the basis for physical health, surely more health is better??

"When people have sex, due to the intimacy of the lovemaking, that energy exchange is exponentially greater.  The man shares his yang energy (or transmits), and the woman shares her yin energy (or receives), providing space for all that energy to release.  After the man orgasms and ejaculates, he becomes soft and receptive and, as they cuddle, the woman sends all that yang energy back to him plus interest."

You are describing heterosexual intercourse not sex.

There are many sexual practices with all sorts of energy configurations.

Also not everyone wants their energy back. Some people want to leave their deposit for a variety of reasons.

"Cuddling is a way for the man to share his space (yin energy) with the woman and receive her transmission (yang energy). "

One way yes, not the best way however.

Isn't that like saying there is no need to build up physical strength, let your strength be whatever happens from daily life?

Seem to me that 'big' events require more than the daily fitness level. As such, building up ones capacity prepares them for tasks requiring more capability.

Good arguments.   :)

I simply don't see the benefit of treating energy like a treasure to be hoarded and guarded.  This outlook seems to be based in fear rather than in love.  If the energy is allowed to flow however life requires, then there will be enough.   What is the point of having more than enough?

Also not everyone wants their energy back. Some people want to leave their deposit for a variety of reasons.

"Cuddling is a way for the man to share his space (yin energy) with the woman and receive her transmission (yang energy). "

The heterosexual intercourse is just something I can talk about from my own experience, which is fairly limited.  Also maybe we have different definitions of sex.

It's sounds like cool info, and I'm definitely interested in the more options besides cuddling.   :)  Can you share - maybe in this thread or a new one?

Edited by liz

Good arguments.   :)

I simply don't see the benefit of treating energy like a treasure to be hoarded and guarded.  This outlook seems to be based in fear rather than in love.  If the energy is allowed to flow however life requires, then there will be enough.   What is the point of having more than enough?

There is no point in having more than enough of anything. However, most have no clue how much they need of everything. As such, its at best an educated guess as to how much preparation is appropriate. As per the example, most people don't train their physical body beyond basic fitness unless they specifically expect to be doing one of those sternuous activities (climb a mountain, run a marathon, enter a bicycle race, etc).

As to fear and love, that applies to everything. Really no call to blame energy for that.

The heterosexual intercourse is just something I can talk about from my own experience, which is fairly limited.  Also maybe we have different definitions of sex.

It's sounds like cool info, and I'm definitely interested in the more options besides cuddling.   :)  Can you share - maybe in this thread or a new one?

First of all there is a whole swath of intimacy not related to sexuality. Much of intimacy comes with a significant energy component (exchange).

Standing close enough to someone to be in side their aura (not physically touching). (magnified if its mutual).

Soul Gazing: open eyed meditation with a partners looking deeply into each others eyes, it is very intimate and exchanges lots of energy (among other things).

Another thing to try is to be more present. This is done by looking at something (another person in this case) and attempting to move physically closer without allowing your physical body to move closer. Staring intently can get this process started. Combined this with another person with a lot of energy in your/their aura, can take both of you to altered states.

There is a thing called energy dancing. It requires that you are adept at feeling energy. Basically move close enough to someone that you can easily feel their energy (but don't physically touch them). Then start dancing around them maintaining that energetic distance (keep feeling the same). With some skill you can move around them at very high speed with your eyes closed even if they are doing the same thing at the same time.

Put/emit energy from your palm, place your cupped palm lightly on the other person's bare skin, move your palm along their skin at a steady but slow pace being careful to follow the contours of their skin (keep the pressure constant). The person being touched just enjoys this touch. Lingering or uneven speed greatly reduces the effect. When done correctly makes a slightly tonal sound not unlike filling a glass with water (doesn't change pitch though). This can be used to help keep steady pressure and speed. Obviously large patches of bare skin improve the effect greatly. This can be done in a sexual or non-sexual way depending on if you pass over erogenous zones. Some people prefer a repeated constant route/pattern (about 5 seconds). Others prefer random patterns (very hard to do without a lot of focus). Be careful not to return to one spot too often (unless you are just trying to get the other person turned on). When you got that mastered try both hands at once.

----

I was also pointing out that same gender couplings are inherently more balanced (mirrored).