click tracking

Tao Te Ching - Discussion

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Sage has a supreme disregard for non-essentials. Nothing in life is essential , humans live for spiritual reasons , so thats fine    Worldly power, fame, advancement, titles, vanity

I heard this one today in an episode of "Kung Fu" with David Carradine.  I felt very cal after listening to the patient wisdom of the Chinese, so different from the disturbed minds of western people t

Posted Images

Excellent.

CHAPTER 19

Give up Sainthood, stop preaching.

Let people follow the Dao,

and it will be a hundred times better for everyone.

If people are at one, there is no need for religion or morality?

Give up ingenuity, don't look for profit and bandits and thieves will disappear.

It is more important to follow the ways of Nature; to observe its order and workings, to see

the simplicity, to realise one's true nature, to cast off selfishness and dispel desire.

For here lies the way of Dao.

I wish to give an example of my experience and share it. To make some sense of where im coming from. The dao at first for me in the begining was only experienced at times. Usually when things were peaceful and my mind was not much going on. Or maybe a song has some power in it and i naturally go into that experience of ecstatic bliss.

Then its like going on all the time.  But being like this or being like that kinda helps it maintain its strength.

Then it becomes integrated as i see it for me into how ever i am. However things may be. Cause everything is the dao. It doesnt have a preference. But being simple and such gived it a chance to rest into us. To me thats a great tool. But like any tool its only a tool.

For example the same thing about being simple and such can be said about a rain storm. If i hang out under rain storms every day the kundalini will have a lot more power working through me. But at some point im not required to be in a rain storm to experience it. It integrates into everything. But the energy source of the rain storm was a great tool. A tool.

By the way to keep things in context. There is a reason i am a truck driver. Cause being simple like the dao is talking about imo is a wonderful tool. Truck driving leaves lots of time without constant busyness, simple mostly once used to it and so on. Plus i can go on about the shakti aspect from the terrain. But thats kinda off the topic here. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

CHAPTER 19

Give up Sainthood, stop preaching.

Let people follow the Dao,

and it will be a hundred times better for everyone.

If people are at one, there is no need for religion or morality?

The Dao, the Father is not going to be found with words. Nobody else will find it by telling them either.

The Dao must be found within, and if you do the work there is no need for preaching and telling other's what and how to live.

Give up ingenuity, don't look for profit and bandits and thieves will disappear.

Give up searching for things that you believe will make you happy. Money, clothes a promotion. They are fleeting and temporary.

It is more important to follow the ways of Nature; to observe its order and workings, to see

the simplicity,

Watch a tree. Observe the leaves falling, how natural and perfect it all is. One would not think to try to change how the leaves fall or where they fall from the tree.

The way the leaves fall are perfect already. Same with life, let it flow naturally without trying to change what is, without trying to make things perfect, accept what is and let it flow naturally.

to realize one's true nature, to cast off selfishness and dispel desire.

For here lies the way of Dao.

Edited by Tom

CHAPTER 20

Give up learning, put an end to your troubles.

Remain and dwell in simplicity.

I am contented, for I dwell in the infinite;

the Dao is full when it is present in the heart.

Others enjoy the feast,

but I am alone and wandering, drifting with the wind.

Open and yielding like a new born babe.

Innocent and simple, for I am nourished by the Great Mother of all thing,,

Others have more than what they need, but I alone have nothing.

I seem foolish and confused, but I alone am aware and alert.

Other Men seem sharp and clever,

For my simplicity and innocence appears dull and stupid to such Men.

I drift like the waves of the sea and follow the flow.

Everyone seems busy, but I alone am without desire and uncluttered. I am different, for I am

nourished by the great Dao.

On 4/19/2016 at 1:29 PM, Tom said:

CHAPTER 20

Give up learning, put an end to your troubles.

Remain and dwell in simplicity.

I am contented, for I dwell in the infinite;

the Dao is full when it is present in the heart.

Others enjoy the feast,

but I am alone and wandering, drifting with the wind.

Open and yielding like a new born babe.

Innocent and simple, for I am nourished by the Great Mother of all thing,,

Others have more than what they need, but I alone have nothing.

I seem foolish and confused, but I alone am aware and alert.

Other Men seem sharp and clever,

For my simplicity and innocence appears dull and stupid to such Men.

I drift like the waves of the sea and follow the flow.

Everyone seems busy, but I alone am without desire and uncluttered. I am different, for I am

nourished by the great Dao.

What i have found for me is to remind myself of whats most important. That of course for me is my growth. So when i feel like im getting caught up in something making it my priority, i take a step back and remind myself. Lol. It to me is real nice being able to do that. Society programs us away from our spirit or dao. But people come around reminding us its ok. Its okay to put the dao first. Lol. To me what an incredible thing. My experience of growth may not coincide exactly of whats out there but what does it matter. What matters is that some people remind us of the big picture. Which is worth celebrating.

What the passage says makes agreat deal of sense. thanks for sharing Tom!

Thank you Karen and running.

I think you both have summed it up nicely. A really great chapter than doesn't need much of an explanation.

CHAPTER 21

The greatest virtue is to follow the Dao and only Dao.

Oh unfathomable Dao, ever elusive and intangible.

But yet within, there is substance and form.

It is the essence of the Ten Thousand Things.

This is very real, so here lies a true path to follow.

It was there at the beginning, as it shall be at the end,

Thus I know the ways of creation.

To understand Dao (emptiness) is really great.

And to abide in Dao is still greater where only perfect arhat can reach.

To abide in Dao and yet understand LOTUS SUTRA is even very much greater and this is the path where Lotus Sutra STARTS.

To abide in Da0 and to follow LOTUS SUTRA  is the greatest of great things and its final goal is Buddhahood.

Beyond and much beyond Beyond is the science of ONE. 

ONE not only puts in the seed of Buddhahood , IT also breathes in the whole universe taking out the CREAM of Buddhahood. 

And with this added WISDOM of Buddhahood , IT achieves the next highest CREATION  which is better to the previous one.

HAIL ONE.        YOU ARE. NO ONE ELSE IS THERE.

21 hours ago, riju said:

To understand Dao (emptiness) is really great.

And to abide in Dao is still greater where only perfect arhat can reach.

To abide in Dao and yet understand LOTUS SUTRA is even very much greater and this is the path where Lotus Sutra STARTS.

To abide in Da0 and to follow LOTUS SUTRA  is the greatest of great things and its final goal is Buddhahood.

Beyond and much beyond Beyond is the science of ONE. 

ONE not only puts in the seed of Buddhahood , IT also breathes in the whole universe taking out the CREAM of Buddhahood. 

And with this added WISDOM of Buddhahood , IT achieves the next highest CREATION  which is better to the previous one.

HAIL ONE.        YOU ARE. NO ONE ELSE IS THERE.

Im going to make a friendly stand on this whole arahat theory. If your open you are one with the energy. Open in a big way in your lower chakras. You are the peace maker. You are putting what you come in contact into joy and peace. You are that. Weather your a wild and crazy person running down the street naked. Or sitting in an ashram. Its the energy not the mind that is the peace maker. Its how open you are. Not how you think this or some other thing. Its not the drama going on imo its the energy that makes the peace.

I havent said anything to give a benefit of the doubt. Maybe just maybe. No its a con. I see it as an ego trip and a con on people. But its not like it matters what i think. Carry on and have fun. I am just somebody with a very open throat and feel its good to speaks ones mind at times.

Edited by running

If you look at history many of the saints, prophet's, and so on have been either locked up or crucified for not fitting in. Today many societys have become more accepting.

I remember a story a guru i met once told me. It was about a greek philsopher or maybe it was a scientist i wish i could remember. 

In any case he woke up one morning with the answer he had been looking for for some time. He was in direct communion with the dao, divine, self, god or however he thought of it. In the experience he ran off through the streets naked screaming his discovery in excitement. Lol. 

Also when i was visiting this guru there was a big storm coming. I guess he sensed my connection with it. Cause that evening he politely reminded me to not go outside and run around when it came. Lol. For me my mind can stay fairly relative to what is dangerous or culturally acceptable but i wouldnt say that makes me more in tune with the divine. But just that my experience is able to not lose touch with these things typically.

The energy from being open enough to effect whats around us in oneness i have found to be without effort. I have many, many times on accident had this efffect on my girlfriend and im only so far along. She says, how the heck do you function that way. I say you get acclimated to it. And your mind catches up to it. The point im making is that im not trying to do anything. 

I could go around trying but its already happening anyways. Its not a product of the mind from what i have seen. Its the energy.

Maybe through action may give some temporary positive situation. But things like that are debatable weather that brings upon anything for the long haul. And so often we search due to hardships. And when everything is swell we dont.

• 3 weeks later...

CHAPTER 21

The greatest virtue is to follow the Dao and only Dao.

The Doa is emptiness that is everything, that flows through and guides those in the present moment.

Oh unfathomable Dao, ever elusive and intangible.

Not easy to achieve if one strives for it and intangible because it is no thing.

But yet within, there is substance and form.

This is tricky because most would say look within to find the emptiness of things. This is saying that Form=Emptiness and Emptiness = Form. They are one and the same.

It is the essence of the Ten Thousand Things.

All things true essence is emptiness.

This is very real, so here lies a true path to follow.

It was there at the beginning, as it shall be at the end,

Thus I know the ways of creation.

CHAPTER 22

Yield and overcome.

Bend but follow the flow.

Empty yourself of everything, then you can full.

Have little but gain a lot.

Have much and be confused.

Therefore the sage embraces the one.

He sets an example to the world.

By not putting on a display, he shines forth.

Having no preferences he is open to all.

By never boasting or bragging he can never falter.

By knowing this and refusing that,

He knows of the ways of man.

Thus he can avoid a quarrel.

The ancient masters were always empty.

This emptiness was always whole.

Yield and overcome and be forever full,

and so all things will come to you.

On one side i can say for me yeah. On the other side is like if it flows through it then what difference does it matter anyways. But in any case i think its a good recipe for growth imo. And then when the thing that was avoided no longer stops the flow then that thing is off the list i suppose. But its probably good to take a break and then see how the flow is. Double check some things just in case.

On 5/17/2016 at 8:12 PM, Tom said:

He knows of the ways of man.

The ancient masters were always empty.

This emptiness was always whole.

Yield and overcome and be forever full,

and so all things will come to you.

"So all things will come to you"

yes, all things will come. This includes negative and positive energies. Negative one's are to be filtered away and positives retained. One requires WISDOM for this. Otherwise the falls and sufferings  will also be great. 

In fact Dao alone is very dangerous. When one acquires the TOTAL WISDOM OF LOTUS SUTRA ALONG WITH IT ONLY THEN THE DAO IS PERFECT.

But if the meaning of Dao is " Emptiness + Total wisdom", then I need help. I would like to know the biography ot the author Tao-te- Ching. I am going to search on the internet the life of the author.

19 hours ago, riju said:

Lao Tzu is the author 

After going through studies, I have come to the conclusion that Dao is only Emptiness and not wisdom.

The author may have day to day wisdom to keep away from negative energies. He must be spending most of his life in isolation. He is an ARHAT and no more.

• 2 months later...

Verse 22

Yield and overcome,

bend but follow the flow.

Empty yourself of everything, then you can be full.

Therefore the Sage embraces the one;

he sets an example to the world,

by not putting on a display he shines forth.

Having no preference, he is open to all.

he knows the ways of man.

The Ancient Masters were always empty,

but this emptiness was always whole.

Yield and overcome and be forever full.

And so, all things will come to you.

SFH

Verse 23

In Nature nothing is eternal.

High winds do not last all morning,

heavy rain does not last all day.

So why should man be forever talking.

In silence, the mind and heart are set at peace.

This is natural.

Heaven is eternal\and so is the earth,

by reproducing its own kind each generation.

Man can never make things eternal,

he will only just ruin things by interfering.

He who follows Dao is at one with Dao.

He who is virtuous, is at one with virtue.

He who loses the way. feels lost.

When you are at one with the Dao, the Dao welcomes you.

When you are at one with virtue, virtue is always there in your heart.

When you are at one with loss, loss is experienced willingly.

SFH

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:05 AM, sifu said:

Verse 22

Yield and overcome,

bend but follow the flow.

Empty yourself of everything, then you can be full.

Let go of your attachments, don't attach and let them flow. When you are empty of attachments of grasping you realize the fullness of that which is. When you grasp at 'things" the mind takes over hence the confusion.

Therefore the Sage embraces the one;

he sets an example to the world,

by not putting on a display he shines forth.

The Sage is one who has let go and shows no attachments to things such as putting on a display.

Having no preference, he is open to all.

By not attaching he never falters.

he knows the ways of man.

The Ancient Masters were always empty,

but this emptiness was always whole.

Yield and overcome and be forever full.

And so, all things will come to you.

SFH

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:19 AM, sifu said:

Verse 23

In Nature nothing is eternal.

High winds do not last all morning,

heavy rain does not last all day.

So why should man be forever talking.

In silence, the mind and heart are set at peace.

This is natural.

The storms and winds are like the upset mind. Find the silence after the storm and one will find peace.

Heaven is eternal\and so is the earth,

by reproducing its own kind each generation.

Man can never make things eternal,

he will only just ruin things by interfering.

The striving to change things, to control things never last.

He who follows Dao is at one with Dao.

He who is virtuous, is at one with virtue.

He who loses the way. feels lost.

Be at one with that which is eternal. When you are one with the Dao you have no desire to change or control things. You live with an open heart, when you don't you are lost.

When you are at one with the Dao, the Dao welcomes you.

When you are at one with virtue, virtue is always there in your heart.

When you are at one with loss, loss is experienced willingly.

SFH

When you are one with the Dao your heart is open and one is free. When you experience loss, such as the upset over the loss of a promotion, a car, money, clothes. These are attachments of which one on the path knows that one is getting caught up in. To stay in that loss can be considered a choice.

I am not saying the path is easy but it is possible :)

• 2 years later...