click tracking
Chas

Deforestation Slowing In Brazil

Thanks, Chas -- it's very cool to see some good news in this realm.

It's important news, too: a lot of people think that planting trees helps to counteract the additional CO2 in the atmosphere that is a key factor in global warming -- but that's actually only true in equatorial regions.

Article: Green Myth - Many People Think Planting Trees Will Fix Global Warming

Many people call the Amazon the lungs of the world..

Oxygen levels have dropped significantly during the industrial revolution,

and people are now experiencing forms of mental decline due to oxygen deprivation.

Funny thing how pranayama makes us feel better... must be magical.

http://disinfo.com/2013/01/atmospheric-oxygen-levels-are-dropping-faster-than-atmospheric-carbon-levels-are-rising/

Thanks for the good news Chas.

Kev

Many people call the Amazon the lungs of the world..

Oxygen levels have dropped significantly during the industrial revolution,

and people are now experiencing forms of mental decline due to oxygen deprivation.

Funny thing how pranayama makes us feel better... must be magical.

http://disinfo.com/2013/01/atmospheric-oxygen-levels-are-dropping-faster-than-atmospheric-carbon-levels-are-rising/

Thanks for the good news Chas.

Kev

Thank you, Kev. :)

The deforestation should have been stopped years ago and is a big part of the climate change problem. I rather cynical about blaming it all on Co2, as many do, I think chopping down masses of greenery is the major problem.

I think there's historical evidence that civilisations have died out because they obliterated their local forests and changed the climate meaning they could no longer grow food. Of course the current areas of deforestation are so vast that they are affect the whole world.   

I do wonder how much of the Co2 stuff is political spin? 

3 minutes ago, PatrickJB said:

The deforestation should have been stopped years ago and is a big part of the climate change problem. I rather cynical about blaming it all on Co2, as many do, I think chopping down masses of greenery is the major problem.

I think there's historical evidence that civilisations have died out because they obliterated their local forests and changed the climate meaning they could no longer grow food. Of course the current areas of deforestation are so vast that they are affect the whole world.   

I do wonder how much of the Co2 stuff is political spin? 

That is very good news.

I would agree that this would be an example of man made climate change. 

I think most of it is over hyped BS with a goal of monetizing the environment.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I would agree that this would be an example of man made climate change. 

I think most of it is over hyped BS with a goal of monetizing the environment.

Glad you agree.

I do wonder if some of it is just part of a natural cycle? I'm not denying what's happening but I'm not buying any of the stuff the media is dishing out. Yes some of it is true like the deforestation and Co2, to an extent,  but I think the chaotic weather patterns are what we should really worry about. Extreme weather events will probably be used to push through government interventions etc. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PatrickJB said:

Glad you agree.

I do wonder if some of it is just part of a natural cycle? I'm not denying what's happening but I'm not buying any of the stuff the media is dishing out. Yes some of it is true like the deforestation and Co2, to an extent,  but I think the chaotic weather patterns are what we should really worry about. Extreme weather events will probably be used to push through government interventions etc. 

That is the thing, nobody looks at history.

There are no extreme weather events taking place. There are not bigger forest fires, more tornado's or more or bigger hurricanes. There are always droughts in California often lasting 20-50 yrs with some historically lasting over 250 yrs. Weather has been just as hot and hotter for even longer periods of time than in Paris which is currently in the news.

Obama proclaimed the hurricane that hit NY was because of climate change. In the 1950's 5 hurricanes hit NY and they had snow drifts 100 ft high in the city. Could you imagine the hysteria if that would happen now?

This year because of high C02 it was projected it would be a dry winter.. it was very wet.

Since the 1920's scientist have been predicting the arctic would melt within a decade.. they have been wrong every time.

The entire IPCC report from 2003 has failed in every prediction.. every single one.. yet it doesn't seem to matter.

Edited by Tom

16 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Deforestation is accelerating in my neighbours gardens !

Ever since his wife bought him that new chainsaw! :D

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

The entire IPCC report from 2003 has failed in every prediction.. every single one.. yet it doesn't seem to matter.

That's what I heard from several sources but it seems that the left are spinning a different story! I'm not buying it but they can continue trying to convince me.